Home > Customer Support > Travelling Abroad VE103 Request

Travelling Abroad VE103 Request


Driving abroad (Southern Ireland or Europe)

If you’re leasing a vehicle from Arval and you wish to take it abroad, you must get a Vehicle on Hire (VE103) document. This is legal proof that you have permission from the registered keeper (Arval) to take the car overseas and may need to be shown if you’re stopped by the local law enforcement agency.


Our overseas pack includes an Arval letter of authority, European breakdown cover and the essential VE103 document. You must request this at least 5 working days before travel. More information about the VE103 can be found below.


You can order online, or call 0345 266 5017 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5.15pm) and select the option for travel documents.


Everything you need to know about the VE103

The address used for the VE103 must legally be the custodian’s home address (i.e. yours) and must match the address on your driving licence. The VE103 is valid for a year from the date of issue, and covers all European travel within that period. You must take the original hard copy VE103 with you. This is the only legitimate proof of permission to travel abroad - emails, photos, scans and photocopies are not valid.

Once the document is finalised, we automatically provide European breakdown cover for the vehicle.The VE103 costs £18 (including VAT).

If you take a lease vehicle abroad without a valid VE103, the vehicle can be confiscated and impounded. Order a VE103 online or call 0345 266 5017 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5.15pm) and select the option for travel documents.

General advice about driving in Europe

As well as the VE103, you’ll need to carry your full driving licence and passport, and ensure the vehicle is insured for driving abroad.Some countries also require drivers to carry an International Driving Permit - you’ll find full details at gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit


Before taking any vehicle abroad, you must familiarise yourself with the laws, rules, regulations, and compulsory equipment for the countries you’ll be driving in. These vary country by country and are frequently updated. So, for the latest advice on overseas driving rules and requirements, please check gov.uk/driving-abroad.


In some areas of France, low emission zones have been introduced to restrict vehicle access. To drive through these areas without a penalty, you’ll need to display a Crit’Air vignette (sticker) on your vehicle. Find out more.

More information, from the AA, about driving in Europe.

Accidents or breakdowns

Find out more about what to do if you’re involved in an accident, or your vehicle breaks down, here.

Moving abroad

The VE103 is designed to cover taking your vehicle abroad for short-term travel. If you’re planning on moving to another country permanently (or for more than 3 months at a time), your Arval vehicle will need to be returned.  Please contact us to discuss the best options.

Need more help?

By Phone: 
0370 600 4499
Contact our friendly customer service team.