Home > Customer Support > Arval Total Care

Arval Total Care

Frequently Asked Questions

For questions relating to invoicing, replacement glass, fines, fees, amending your contract terms or details and more, please see our During Your Contract FAQ below.

<< go back to customer support section

What is Arval Total Care?

Arval has developed an innovative product to provide which includes a package of services providing you with an insured leased vehicle. 

What services are provided under Arval Total Care?

Arval provide a complete package of services. These include:

  • Contract Hire
  • An Insured Leased Vehicle including Third Party Liability and Own Damage Protection (including fire and theft)
  • Glass Damage Protection
  • Maintenance cover - for all your servicing and repairs on your vehicle
  • Breakdown cover - to fix your car or recover it and if necessary provide a replacement vehicle
  • Accident Management - management of your incident from start to finish
  • Protection against financial shortfall in the event of a total loss


Please note: Arval Total Care does not include cover for Personal Injury or belongings.

Who provides cover for my vehicle?

AIG insure the vehicle for third party liability cover. The Insurance Policy is in the name of Arval UK Ltd who hold this policy on your behalf. Arval provide cover for the Own Damage Protection

What is Own Damage Protection?

Arval will be responsible for repairing any damage to your vehicle resulting from an incident. You will not be responsible for the costs but you will be required to pay the Customer Incident Charge as further explained below. The Own Damage Protection does not include routine maintenance (which is also explained in more detail below). The Own Damage Protection will not protect you against damage caused or resulting from driver abuse or neglect. If any damage is caused by the fault of a third party then Arval will recover the costs directly from them.

Who is allowed to drive my vehicle?

Business Users:

Any employee of your company and their spouse or partner.

Personal Users:

The driver and their spouse or partner..

There are restrictions and exclusions which apply, for example, in relation to age, driver history (including medical) and use of the vehicle.

Am I covered for Business use?

Yes, your Arval Total Care package covers you for both Business and Personal use of your leased vehicle. You are not restricted to the types of journey you make, subject to trade usage criteria detailed in your contract.

What is an incident?

Incident means an event or accident resulting in damage, loss or theft of the Arval Total Care vehicle or damage to third party property or personal injury/death of a third party.

I’ve had an incident, what do I do?

You must contact Arval at the earliest opportunity and make sure that it is safe and legal to do so. Please call our driver support contact centre on 0370 600 4499 and select ‘report an accident’.

Arval’s Accident Management partner will record the relevant details and either get your vehicle recovered if it is immobile or allocate a repairer.

Is the fee for the Total Care Service fixed for the Contract Term?

Yes, your monthly rental will only change if we mutually agree a change (if applicable) or as a result of Arval exercising its rights under the contract, for example if you travel materially more miles than agreed (and the vehicle is recontracted) or the vehicle is involved in two or more at fault incidents in a 12 month period. In which case we will discuss your options with you.

What is Glass Protection?

Arval is responsible for the repairing and replacing body glass to your vehicle. You must report the damage to Arval and the repair will be arranged via Arval’s network. You will be required to pay a per incident charge in line with your contract agreement. The cost will be per incident where it is necessary to replace the glass. No CIC (Customer Incident Charge) applies where the glass is repaired.

The glass CIC does not count towards the escalating CIC for incidents.

Am I entitled to a replacement vehicle when mine is off the road due to an accident?

You are entitled to a courtesy car for the duration of the vehicle repair and is subject to the repairer’s conditions. Please note this will not be a like for like replacement of your existing lease vehicle. If you would like a separate rental vehicle, Arval can assist in booking this. The costs of the rental vehicle including the collision damage waiver insurance provided by the rental company must be covered by you. The rental agreement will be between you and the rental company.

Am I entitled to a replacement vehicle when mine is off the road due to a mechanical failure / maintenance work?

If the repairer has a courtesy vehicle available, while your vehicle is being repaired, then you can utilise this subject to their conditions, and the insurance cover costs and / or any administration fee must be paid for directly to the repairer by yourself. If you have broken down, and the vehicle is not repairable at the roadside, then the recovery agent can provide a rental vehicle for 48 hours to you as part of the breakdown scheme.

What happens if my vehicle is deemed a total loss as a result of an incident?

The lease will be terminated as soon as our assessors have confirmed the vehicle is not economic to repair. At this point, if you were considered to be “at fault”, Arval will invoice the Customer Incident Charge (CIC) due to you. Your liability for the monthly rental of the vehicle will cease at this point. If there is a third party at fault, Arval will seek to recover the costs from the third party’s insurers. If the losses are not recoverable due to any act or omission by you / your driver, then Arval reserve the right to invoice any losses to you.

What happens if my vehicle is stolen?

You must notify the Police and then Arval (quoting your crime reference number) within 24 hours. Arval’s Accident Management provider will monitor the progress directly with the police. After 21 days if the vehicle hasn’t been recovered, or has been recovered but has been deemed a total loss, then the vehicle lease will be terminated at Arval and your monthly rental liability will cease for any future rentals. At this point, Arval will invoice the relevant Customer Incident Charge (CIC) to you.

If there has been an act, omission or negligence by you or your driver which contributed to, or resulted in the theft of the vehicle (e.g. if the keys are left in the car) then the termination costs will be borne by you. If at a later point the vehicle is recovered and sold or any monies are received, these will be credited back to you up to the value of the charge you received.

If the vehicle is deemed stolen and not recovered or a total loss, what other liabilities do I have other than the monthly rental?

Arval could levy a maintenance charge if the vehicle is running over its contract.

Early Termination

Should you wish to return the Contract Hire vehicle before the end of the contract, please contact Arval and we will discuss the process, and financial implications. You will be liable to make a payment in accordance with your agreement.

What is included in the maintenance cover?

Arval cover the costs of all routine work that is due to occur during the contract term (based on manufacturer guidelines). This will include servicing, maintenance, repairs, premium tyres*, batteries, breakdown cover, exhaust and any worn items. This means that damaged tyres will be replaced inside the maintenance budget. Replacements in the event of abuse, neglect, theft or vandalism will be recharged.

Arval’s maintenance scheme does not cover driver abuse items, damage or replacement as a result of neglect. These charges will be billed via a vehicle services invoice. If you need servicing work or tyres, please contact the Arval Driver Contact Centre on 0370 600 4499 and we will assist you with a local supplier.


*Arval has a Fair Play policy on tyres.

What do I do if I want to take my vehicle overseas?

Please contact Arval on 0370 600 4499 at least 14 days in advance of travel and provide details of your travel destination and dates and details of drivers and any additional drivers. Arval will provide you with a Vehicle on Hire certificate (VE103) to replace the registration document. This is a legal requirement. A standard fee of £15 plus VAT applies for this document. An insurance certificate confirming that the vehicle is insured to be taken out of the country for the period of travel will be provided to you.

If you already have a valid VE103 from a previous trip, you will still need to contact Arval to get a new insurance certificate. If you have been unreasonably delayed in your return and your insurance certificate is due to expire, you will need to contact Arval for permission to extend the cover, and a new insurance certificate will be issued. It will be your responsibility to print this document and retain it in the vehicle.

Are my personal belongings covered?

No. Arval is providing Contract Hire on an Insured vehicle. Arval is the policy holder. Therefore the policy cannot be extended to cover personal belongings.

Is personal injury covered?

No. Arval is not providing personal injury cover for the driver, however, any Third Party passengers would be included within the policy. In the event a non fault incident, Arval will be able to facilitate any injury claims incurred to the driver or any passengers as part of the loss recovery process from the third party insurer.

Are there any restrictions on who can drive the vehicle or have the product?

Yes. The eligibility criteria and restrictions are detailed in a schedule to your contract. It is important that you understand what this criteria is and that you comply with the criteria at all times as you could invalidate the insurance for the vehicle if you do not. Should these change or be updated at any time, a new copy will be sent out to you.

Change of address

You will need to call us to declare a change of overnight postcode. Please contact your Account Management Team to discuss in more detail

Can I add Arval Total Care to my existing Arval Fleet?

Yes, providing you already take Arval maintenance today and there are more than 6 remaining payments left to make on your contract. Please contact your Account Management team to discuss in more detail

Do you provide me with a ‘no claims letter’ at the end of my contract?

At the end of contract Arval will provide a driver history letter to confirm the number of years claim free for the driver for the duration of the lease, this is available upon request. We cannot guarantee all insurance companies will accept the documentation we provide.

Standing floodwater

Arval Total Care does not cover any claim as a result of deliberately driving through standing flood water

What would happen in the event of misfuelling

This is not covered with Arval Total Care. Any repair costs will be recharged to you

How can I obtain a copy of the Insurance Certificate?

If you would like an Insurance certificate for your insured leased vehicle please contact your Account Management Team who will be able to assist in your request. Please ensure you provide details on your partner or spouse (where required) so they can be listed on the certificate..

Where can I find my policy conditions for Arval Total Care?

This will be detailed within your Contract Hire terms and conditions agreement.

Still need help?

By Phone: 
0370 419 7000